Need help around your home?
A handy man can help you maintain your home and keep on top of home and garden maintenance, whilst also detecting problems early before they become larger and therefore more difficult and expensive to fix.
What a Handyman Can Do
With a few exceptions, a handyman can carry out a wide variety of home maintenance tasks including:
- Pressure cleaning
- Door fitting
- Fitting door locks
- Installing smoke detectors
- Repairs and maintenance of tiling
- Repairs and maintenance of decking
- Installation of sheds and cubbyhouses
- Installing sprinkler and irrigation systems
- Driveway re-sealing
- Gutter cleaning
- Lawn mowing
A Handyman will do small or large jobs that you are unable to do yourself, which you do not need a specialised professional for. You will find that a handyman will come out and fix multiple items and tasks in one visit. For instance, you may need some art work hung on the wall and a door painted. This is different to contracting a licensed service provider who generally only performs a single type of service, such as an electrician.
What a Handyman Can’t Do
While there is a lot that a handyman can do, there are also things that they cannot. Your handyman should never attempt any work that may affect the structural soundness of your house. Additionally, they should not do any electrical or plumbing work, as only licensed professionals are permitted to do these tasks. You should always employ a licensed electrician to do any electrical work, even if it is as minor as replacing a power cord or adding a new power socket. Licensed service providers should also be contacted for the majority of plumbing and electrical work around the house, however, a handyman can do minor jobs such as changing tap washers etc.
Helpful tips when hiring a handyman
- Ask to see their Driver’s License for identifying them
- Get a quote first before they start the work
- Make sure you give them clear written instructions
- Make them aware of any pets you may have
- Be clear what will happen with waste from any task they are leaving after the job
- Handymen also need to hold the relevant insurances and always ask to see theirr certificates before they start work. They should be accredited and hold the appropriate qualifications
How Much Does a Handyman Cost?
A Handyman service will charge by the hour and base their costs on the job involved. Expect to pay in the region of $40 to $100 per hour depending on the location and experience of the handyman. While some handymen will be able to quote over the phone, others may require a site inspection – remember to check whether there is a charge for this.
Other helpful ways of getting a quote on a job is to take a photo of the project and send it to the handyman to quote on. In some cases an image can be very helpful in determining how much the task will cost.